Knowing the right roofer to hire can be a challenging and confusing task. Although most contractors are competent, honest, hard-working, financially responsible, and licensed, consumers should proceed with some caution when making such a huge change to their home or business. Below is a list of tips to assist you in choosing the right roofing contractor and getting the best service for your money.
- Double-check your roofing contractor’s credentials: A fly-by-night contractor will have no verifiable credentials. A well qualified, respected contractor – on the other hand – will. Additionally, he will be more than glad to show you his credentials because this instills a sense of trust between him and the customer.
- Ask for references: Ask the contractor to put you in contact with people who they have worked for in the past and who are willing to vouch for their work. Additionally, the contractor should have examples of their work on their site.
- Choose a company that offers a free estimate or bid: A reputable contractor should be willing to give you a free estimate as to how much the work will cost plus materials. If they want to charge you, move on to the next listing
- Make sure you get a detailed contract before work begins: A trusted roofer should give you a written contract that contains completion dates, materials, price breakdown, and scope of the project, etc.
- Check for insurance: Insurance will protect you in the event that an accident occurs and the roofer is injured. Also, make sure that the company has workers compensation for its employees.
- Get everything in writing: Make sure that you know their expectations and that they are aware of yours. This will spare you and them from encountering any problems down the road.
- Ask questions: Every homeowner should ask a potential roofer questions before signing a contract such as: Will you remove my old roof? Are you going to install drip edge or edge metal when you install the new roof? Will you use ladder stabilizers or standoffs to protect my gutters when you install my roof? What is the warranty on my new roof?
Hiring roofing contractors isn’t something that should be taken lightly. By taking the time to find a trustworthy company, you can rest assured that the job is going to be done right the first time. We sell and install engineered roofing systems and metal rain screens in Agoura Hills, CA.